7 Week Programme starting Mondays Jan 27 to Mar 9
Ages 8yrs and over
5:00pm to 6:30pm
The Studio School presents a course designed to equip the budding artist with a toolkit packed with ten of the most important techniques that they can train themselves in. With these tools, their art-senal will be ready to tackle the wide world of art.
1) Pick up the Pencil! Pencils may sound boring, but they are an essential tool in composition and training the eye to see light and shade in a subject. We will teach the students how to draw and shade a perfect sphere using blending and shading. The Students will then create their own artwork using what they learned.
2) Woke Watercolors: Watercolours can be so nuanced as a painting medium. In this class we will teach the students all sorts of different techniques and tools used in watercolour art and also to compose a colour wheel with their watercolours. We will teach them to sketch and compose a final piece that will really showcase their fluid talents.
3) Mixed Media 1: Acrylics and Collage: Mixed Media opens up a whole world of tools, art techniques and projects that a creative mind can get lost in. In this class, we teach the students how to use pictures in a collage and then how to paint and compose a beautiful 16X20 piece.
4) No Strings Attached: Abstract 1: In this class, we explore abstract art. We step outside the box and into the strings as we use this item to create abstract art pieces. The students will learn about abstract art and compose their own piece to take home, or sell at a Sotheby’s Auction.
5) Paint it Black: Come on over to the dark side and learn to lighten it up as we explore how to paint on a dark background. This challenge will be faced head on and will surely teach the students techniques they can take with them on how to use their paint and brushes properly to place colour on a dark composition.
6) The Studio Academy: Still Life Part 1: In this class, we do an art school classic where we have objects as chosen by the students set up in the middle of the classroom and lit. The students will then use their knowledge of shading and drawing to complete a pencil or charcoal piece.
7) The Studio Academy: Still Life Part Deux: In this class- the students will be painting the same scene they made in the last session, this time understanding the colour wheel to create an amazing finished art piece.
8) Dr. Pencil, Mr. Shade: #StudioSelfie: In this class- we will have the students bring in a copy of a picture of themselves. They will cut the picture in half and then use the techniques they have learned in class to make a half self portrait. They can use any media they would like to. The results- an incredible selfie they would be proud to share.
9) Optional Art Show: Sunday Mar 29 from 2pm-5pm
Substitute Class- The Upside Down Class: The artist may choose to substitute any lesson at their discretion based on the interest level and progress of the class. Painting upside down is a very powerful technique to train the eye to catch features in drawings that you may not if you were simply drawing right side up. Don’t worry, we’re not having anyone hanging upside down from the rafters in this class! The canvasses or the subject will be turned around midst the drawing lesson to get the student to think outside the lines and draw what they really see.
Substitute Class - It’s All Abstract in Nature: Abstract 2: Mixed media, abstract art and elements of nature come together in this final composition class. The students will use all their knowledge of different media to compose this final piece adding in pieces from nature.
At the end of this course series- the Students will be invited to participate in The Studio School Gallery Show. Each student will present 2-3 of their favourite works. They will be in charge of presentation, of drafting a theme for their show and for inviting their friends and family to come out and see their work. Refreshments and diplomas will be provided by The Studio!
-This class package is sold in a package of 7 at the introductory price of $210 plus tax. However, if you would like to have your child drop in on some of the courses they are most interested in and would like to try out a class- each class is $35 plus tax per student and you can make your own package. Each class is designed to be completed on its own- the project can be entirely learned and done in one class. However- the benefit of doing all 7 is the incremental learning and practice that each class will provide the student.
-This is not a drop off activity- parents are required to wait in the lounge during the class. Enjoy some creative time by picking up some complimentary colouring sheets or a discounted canvas to while the time away! Our Studio Bar is always open to provide refreshments if needed.
-Classes must be paid in full to save a spot
-We cannot offer any refunds or make-up classes for these sessions.
If you have any questions or comments, please use the form to get in touch!